Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NNO

(Nigerian Night Out)

Part of my excitement about moving to NYC was due to my good college friend Chi being there. We hadn't seen each other since graduation (4+years) and we've already had a few chances to catch up with one another. Last week he took me to Brooklyn (the not so hipster side) for some authentic Nigerian food @ Buka. Who better to go with than a Nigerian native? I can't even begin to describe what the food was like, and I can't honestly say it was or wasn't what I expected b/c I really didn't know what to expect! Everything was foreign to me, and Chi had a hard time explaining the food in terms I'd understand so I made him order for us. We started off with an appetizer of Moi Moi and Suya, as seen below:

The main meal consisted of 2 types of Fufu (potato with a gummy texture) which is traditionally eaten with your right hand, so you pinch part off, kind of ball it up in your pointer-ring finger then use your thumb to scoop up the main food. The meals are "soup like" but not runny, if that makes any sense. I did attempt to eat with my fingers but it didn't go over so well. Chi was fine with that, he just wanted me to try! The main dishes that we ordered were Igban (large, land snail) and Goat (beef-like) accompanied by different sauces. Overall, it was pretty good...but I think I'll pass on the snail next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment