Thursday, March 3, 2011

No, that sermon wasn't directed at me

This past Sunday the message was on reconciliation. Right off the bat I was quick to think, "This message isn't applicable to me, I don't have anyone I need to reconcile with", but oh was I wrong.  I'm going to break away from my normal writing style of giving out lots of details and try to just convey how happy I am that I let God work in my heart, and my friend's heart over these past few months to now restore our friendship. There is no laying of blame for our drift apart, but more of a natural "coming of age" story of how two great people (one man, one woman) are friends and things get a little fuzzy. When I noticed things were really awry I put my thoughts and feelings into writing, crafting an email that detailed how I felt and to lend an understanding as to why I felt this way and how I wanted things to change. Writing that email was enough for my soul, I never sent it, and am so glad I didn't. Over the course of months God has worked in both our hearts and recently I ran into my friend and it was genuinely great to see him! He said he would call, and he did, again just proving to me what a quality person he is. After a game of phone tag and a few moments of lost signal everything was out in the open between us and it was such a relief. If I would have sent that email I don't think we would have had this conversation, and he probably wouldn't have said such nice things about me! I'm so glad that I'm finally coming into the meaning of my name "of gentle speech". I am a loud, opinionated, sometimes impulsive person and it looks as if years of training and refining moments have allowed me to wait on the Lord for His timing to resolve a situation and allow me to retain a great friendship with only feelings of respect and appreciation for this person.

It's hard to be in the Christian community and see all these great men and women and wonder why we're all still single. If you ever want to read some funny quips from a quirky Christian perspective on how a single person should respond to this check out Jon Acuff's blog: http://www.jonacuff.com/stuffchristianslike/2011/02/awkward-youre-single-conversations-at-church/

No comments:

Post a Comment