Monday, March 28, 2011

Baby Steps

I'm preppy and I own up to it. I like to dress nicely. I like wearing make up. I like what my hair looks like after spending time styling it. I like feeling clean. What I don't like: how I look in exercise clothes, my face without concealer, letting my hair air dry, and feeling sweaty or grimy. I attribute these dislikes to my idea of what outdoor activities include. I'm realizing that these dislikes are really not THAT bad and I can overcome them, with some baby steps.

On Sunday Jenn heroically decided to stay up all day after having worked Saturday night shift. We went to church together, grabbed brunch as this DELICIOUS Venezualan cafe where they had this delicious spicy hot chocolate...yummy! and then we set off for the Palo Alto Foothills Trail, open only to PA residents, that was recommended by a couple at church that morning. The sun was playing hide and seek, and higher elevations usually mean stronger wind, but we braved the unknown and set off for our adventure! Since I'm not much of an outdoorswoman it was a short adventure, just a few miles, and only 1 mini panic attack on my part. My biggest fear is about going out in the woods and not finding my way back to where I started from! Sure enough, we got off the trail and followed signs that we thought would lead us back to where we started, and it did...eventually, after we re-climbed the "mountain" we'd just descended. Jenn graciously put up with my mumbling and mild grumbling. Overall, I'm really glad we went, and it just takes baby steps before I can conquer the whole mountain and feel more comfortable with the idea of getting off the beaten path. Maybe it's my Type A coming out, or my desire to know my location at all times that prevent the comfort I seek that so many others do find in the wild. 

On Tuesday I'm heading to the Carmel and Monterey area to camp for the first time ever. You can now pick your jaws up off the floor. I've slept in a tent, behind a friend's house back in 6th grade, but have never really spent a night out in the woods inside of a tent! This should be an adventure for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment