Friday, September 9, 2011

No Longer a California Girl

Where did the past 6 months go?!? I can't believe my time at Stanford is already over. On one hand, it wasn't long enough and on another hand it was time to go. Living in Palo Alto and working @ Lucile Packard/Stanford has been a great experience.

After going through a rough patch in LA I am now a much better person mentally, emotionally, and spiritually thanks to the friendships I've shared through Grace Pres, other travel nurse friends, and of course my Duke girls! I also feel that this is probably the most authentic Lindsey Kraft that has ever existed. My whole life I've been the "people pleaser", the "pastor's daughter", the "good little Christian girl", etc. I'm not saying any of those roles are bad, but it did take my moving 3,000 miles to the opposite coast to be free of these stereotypes and peer pressure of who I should be. I've become an opinionated, confident and ambitious woman, while still being a friendly, caring, little church girl...who drinks wine (shock, gasp!).

On Saturday my friend Anne hosted a goodbye brunch for me at Tootsies, a cute outdoor cafe (she knows I love eating outdoors).  It was really sweet to have people give up their normal Saturday routines (running, cycling, etc. ) in my honor. Things were kind of last minute securing the NY job so this gave me a chance to fill in some friends I'd yet to share the good news with. They even gave me a congratulations card filled with lots of sweet messages. I love cards, and I carry the important ones with me to all my destinations. On top of the brunch, and the card, Anne also gave me a cute Stanford T-shirt and the gift of not having to pick it out was greatly appreciated! I've been to their bookstore to buy for friends and the options of girls T's is overwhelming! Sadly, Anne had to go to work so I went home to do a little procrastination of packing packing.




Later that evening a small group of us went to SF to watch the Audrey Hepburn classic "Roman Holiday" which was being shown outdoors at Union Square (one of my favorite areas of SF, that could be r/t to the great shopping!) In spite of the cold we had a great time and I'm so glad I finally got to see this movie!



Sunday gave me a good opportunity to say goodbye to a few more friends and to also spend some quality time with the LaPorte sisters (Anne and Danielle) as we ventured into SF to watch a flash mob tribute to Michael Jackson at Dolores Park. A coworker of mine was shooting a documentary on flash mobs and gave me the schedule for where they would be. I will say that knowing a whole bunch of ppl are going to suddenly start dancing in unison does take away from how fun it would be to instead stumble upon and be surprised, but it was still great to watch! I hope YOU get to one day be ambling along a park and have 50+ ppl randomly start dancing infront of you! Next we grabbed some food in the Castro where the people watching rarely lets you down. Danielle and I took Caltrain back to PA, and I met up with my friend James for my last taste of Fraiche froyo.

Monday was a sweaty mess as I had to load up the car, then unload stuff at a friends house so it wouldn't be visible in my parked car while I'm back East, take out a ton of trash/clean, and marvel out how much stuff I've accumulated in these past 6 months! Big THANKS to Jenn B. for driving down to help out and  pick up me and my ridiculous amounts of suitcases! Since she was so kind to me, I returned the favor and helped her start the packing up of her place. Have I mentioned yet just how excited I am to be in NY with this girl?!?

Tuesday we met up with our friend Jess in the Castro for some yummy food, a carafe of mimosa, and good conversation. You're probably tired of hearing how much I love these girls (Jenn & Jess, a.k.a. Duke girls) but I just can't say it enough! These 2 girls...women...friends are amazing and my time in NorCal wouldn't have been as wonderful without them! Before splitting ways we meandered to Union Square and visited Kate Spade (I'm super excited to visit their flagship in NY!) It's such an ultra girly store with frills and sparkly things...and some big price tags. I find their jewelry to be fairly affordable, but even more so their sale items online! Turns out you can host your own reunion, work meeting, shower, etc. AT the store! And they have bubbly for these occassions and will give a discount. Jenn and I are already planning our reunion in NY!!!

Wednesday morning Jenn came home and braved the morning traffic to take me to the airport. It was a sad farewell, but I know I'll see her again soon on the East Coast!

Last Pub night at the Dutch Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment