Friday, August 26, 2011

Is it really my last week in Palo Alto?

Sorry I've slacked again this last week on blogging. Things have been a bit busy with packing and making plans for the next assignment. I'm happy to announce that in October I'll be living in NYC, working for NYU! I'm pretty pumped! I've got a few travel friends who will be there at the same time so that's a huge plus! I'm a little sad that I couldn't arrange my assignment to end before Christmas, but if I have to work the holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas/NYE) then what better city than New York, New York?!? Seriously, it's going to be so festive there for ALL of them! Worst case scenario the fam will just have to come visit poor little me, and either a) watch the Macy's parade, b) ice skate in Rockefeller Plaza, or c) stay up late to watch a shiny ball drop from the sky and tell us it's time to change our calendars!

Amidst the stress of interviewing and waiting for a final offer I've started the packing process. I'm almost done. It's a little intimidating and I'm hoping everything fits in the car this time! I've accumulated a few more items, oops! I need to start planning the route back East, and I'm hoping to make it a fun road trip again!

I'm also trying to enjoy my last bits of free time with friends here in PA. I randomly dropped in on the Graceland boys knowing that I could just walk in and find a fun group of ppl...and food after a long shift. I've lounged in pj's at the Villa talking about boys. I got carded at the Old Pro Sports Bar while wearing my scrubs (apparently that's the new college trend to get in underage, or so this bouncer thought!) to share my angst over waiting for the official job offer. And last night I joined the Grace Pres group for Pub night at Dutch Goose to celebrate my job offer and dined on some helluva good deviled eggs (did you get my pun?).

Today, I went to my last shift at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital of Stanford. It was quite bittersweet, but definitely the right time to part ways. I didn't work in the PICU today, but instead was the FLEX nurse (meaning I carry a phone and anyone can call and ask me for help with basically anything). Sometimes this position can make you run your tail off, and other times it's as slow as a snail when no one needs help. Today was pretty calm and it gave me a great chance to enjoy some time in the PICU as well as visit 2 of my favorite families. While I've complained about the census and low acuity these past few months, I have greatly enjoyed working with this staff and am happy that I'm leaving here on a good note with lots of well wishes from new friends! Who knows, I might come back one day. There's still so much I didn't get to do!

Overall, I'm so grateful for these 6 months here but I am definitely looking forward to having some time off! I've got about 6 weeks until the next contract starts so I'll be flying back East for Labor Day, then back out here to get my car and start the long drive home.

Please be praying for my safety traveling, and also for my licensing paperwork to go through on time! I'll keep you posted, and still have a few more posts to write to help sum up my time here. I can't leave out Napa with my Duke girls last week, or the brunch my friends are hosting for me tomorrow! I'll try to get some pics up soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment