Thursday, September 20, 2012

Paris Day 8


Thursday 9/20

Today is so bittersweet! It's our last full day in Paris before we head to Germany. We got off to a slow start, or maybe it was just oh-so-European of us to not be rushing off somewhere in a hurry, and went to a nearby bakery for our last baguettes and chocolate croissants (again, oh so buttery!) and then hopped next door to a cafe for some espresso. On our way to the metro we stopped at a local boutique and bought several pairs of shoes, so we trekked back home to drop those off, and then again headed for the metro! Our first official stop of the day was to the Harley Davidson store b/c Momma G's boyfriend is a biker! Interestingly enough, I think this was my first time ever in a Harley store. Shocking, I know. I'm constantly mistaken for a biker girl.

We then metro-ed over to Marais, one of the oldest areas and one of the first areas we explored. I really loved this neighborhood for so many reasons: the architecture, the boutiques, the cute cafes. It just felt SO Paris to me! I was on the search for souvenirs and still needed to get something for myself. After several strike outs, I walked away with 2 new scarves and my sister...well, she will just have to wait to see what I got for her!

Our guidebook suggested Tati for discount designer fashion. WHOA! That was so misleading. We got to the neighborhood and I'd say it's probably the seediest area we'd been in. Definitely should have just gotten back on the metro as the store was a big disappointment, bad selection and poor quality. This is not what I'd call discount designer! (I think I was expecting something like Marshall's and this was like Big Lots). Also per our guidebook's suggestion we headed to the exact opposite and found ourselves at Le Bon Marche, an all too expensive and designer only mall! I was in awe at some of the creations of Christian Dior, Alexandar McQueen, etc. but then outraged at the cost! Since we couldn't afford anything we went next door to their deluxe grocery store and picked up a few items for dinner.

T made us a delicious Italian dinner (yes, on our last night in France), we did a load of laundry, and finished our wine. Paris had come to an end and it truly couldn't have been better! It was exactly what I'd thought it would be since I had the perspective of coming as a tourist. I did so much and saw so much! If I never make it back I think I'll find a way to live! But if I do make it back I'll know all the good places to go shopping and dining and there are probably a few things I didn't get to see ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment